Friday 10 March 2017

Hello Hormonal Breakout!



I love it when a new post just comes to me!

So this one and the pictures (apologies for them now) actually came about on the morning of Sunday 5th March. I had woken up, done my usual weekend early morning yoga, gone to wash my face and there they were.. Spots. Quite a few of the little buggers too! At first I was disheartened but then I gathered - why not utilise the rascals to talk about hormonal breakouts?

You'll already know that I have struggled with my skin if you read my first post. If you have you would also know that I have now found what helps me to maintain a fairly clear complexion these days. However, I do still get a monthly breakout. For me its just inevitable.  

 My usual breakout tends to be around a week before my period is due and is predominantly on the left and right side of my jaw area. This is the typical site you will break out when it is hormone related. You can see from the image below what different zones of the skin relate to with regards to breakouts.

I never seem to get the spots with yellow gunk in around my jaw, they are usually a dark pink/ purple colour and more of a small lump. Fabulous when it comes to makeup.. Not! They are usually quite painful too and last a good couple of days if not longer. Unfortunately my skin scars very easily so I usually end up with some marking left behind. The joys.

This is probably something quite a lot of you will be able to relate to, so I thought I would share what I do when an eruption occurs and how I deal with it to a) reduce it and b) leave as little marking behind as possible!

-Don't pick = Sounds simple doesn't it, but the temptation to have a good squeeze (especially if your on the freaky side like me, and love squeezing anybody's spots)is always there. Don't do it! You will only make a mess, potentially spread the bacteria and leave a scar. If the spot is clearly ready to be burst do so in the correct method but if you can't see a head then steer clear or pay the price. I've done this far too many times so I should know. 

-Avoid sugar & dairy = This won't be for everybody, but it seems to help me. When I have a breakout I try my best to up my fruit and veggies and I really try not to eat to many sugary or dairy based foods. I have mentioned before that my skin is pretty much my food diary, I can always tell if I have over indulged by its clarity and these two seem to be some of the main influences. I try not to have too much of either anyway but when a volcanic eruption is imminent I'm definitely more aware to avoid!

-Water, water, water = Flush those toxins out. Obviously we don't want to drown ourselves, but I do try to get through 2 litres of the clear stuff when my skin is struggling. A good water intake is important anyway and something I aim for daily. Keep a measured water bottle with you if you find your forgetting to drink regularly - that way you know exactly how much you have drank.

-Mineral makeup = I adore a touch of Armani Silk however, when my skin is going through a breakout I try my best to keep to mineral makeup as much as possible. One of my favourite products is the BareMinerals matte foundation. I've gone into more detail about the benefits of mineral makeup for problem skin in one of my previous posts. It really is amazing for not only giving a fab coverage and multi-tasking as a concealer, but also the ingredients in the product help to absorb excess oil and heal existing spots! Most importantly, its natural, so has no nasties that will further irritate our skins. 


-Cleanse well = Obvious one I know. It really is important to follow your skincare routine everyday and stick to it regardless of if you suffer with your skin or not! Even more so though when you do struggle with breakouts or acne. I mix my skincare up a lot, I try to give it what it needs each day. Being more on the oily side balancing products tend to be my most used however like everybody, I can sometimes dry out and need hydration. I have recently been using the Origins balancing collection (pictured at the top of the post) and I love it! Its great for thoroughly cleansing my skin and leaving it feeling fresh without stripping it or drying me out.

-Sudocrem = If you have read my skincare trueloves post you will already know I'm obsessed with Sudocrem for my spots. For me its one of the best overnight spot treatments I have tried. I've gone into it in more detail in the previous post so won't ramble on, but honestly, try it! I always pop a tiny covering on each spot every night once my face is fully cleansed and moisturised, then literally leave on until the following morning. Its fabulous for helping to dry out the little blighters due to having Zinc Oxide in it.

So these are my little hacks for dealing with my hormonal breakouts. I used to dread 'that time of the month' for this very reason every month, but now I try to just get on with it and accept it's just going to happen. You just have to find what works best for you to help dry the breakout up, as quickly as possible with as little scarring or marking left behind.

If you have any thoughts, questions or you have any more tips that you find helpful with your breakouts please leave them in the comments below! Links to previous posts and product websites are in bold pink just click the words to be taken to the page/site.
Bethany xx

Ps. On another note, the blog hits it's 7 week old birthday tomorrow with just over 3000 views and reads! Thank you so so much to all of you who are keeping up to date with my latest posts and for the messages I've had regarding it all. Your support means so much.. Thank you! xx








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig